In 1930, the foundation stone
of the Home for the Aged was laid by the Archbishop of
Port of Spain on lands donated by Ste. Madeline Sugar Company
Ltd. situated at the Corner of Ruth and Independence Avenues,
San Fernando .
The first phase of the building was completed in 1932
and housed twenty ladies. In 1937, the Home was open to
both Men and Women. At present there are about fifty residents.
The home is maintained y the St. Christopher's Conference
and since 1986 they have conducted fund raising events
and sought assistance from corporate sponsors in order
to build a New Home.
The New Home is calculated to cost $6.2 million and Republic
Bank has donated 3 million dollars. The sod turning ceremony
took place in July 2004 and construction started in November
2004. At this stage the bulk excavation and foundation
block work is completed. The building should be completed
at the end of this year 2005.
It is a three storey L shaped building that is being built
to the east of the present structure. The lower ground
floor contains the laundry, storage and utility rooms.
Facilities on the ground floor include matron's office,
doctor's office, sick bay, counselling room and an open
terrace. Twenty five bedrooms, washrooms and a B.V. area
are situated on the first floor.